Re: [LUG] Text Editor

On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 17:08:37 +0100
Neil <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Neil,

>I have looked at kate, as I said, but that does indeed pull in lots of
>extra files. I have just checked again, 98 packages. Not going there.

Can't say I blame you.  If I was new to KDE I'd baulk at the sheer
number too.

KDE made the mistake (IMO) of making the libraries (almost)
unifunctional.  Sort of - "do one thing, do it well".  Certainly makes
maintenance of each of them easier.  Previously, the Qt libs were
somewhat more multifunctional.  Far fewer required for the app but each
was bigger.  There are, of course, advantages and drawbacks to both
methods.  Lots of small libs taking longer to load from disk than a few
big ones.  Only really an issue when the DE is started, of course, but
still a minor annoyance to me.

--
 Regards  _
Every single one of us