Re: [LUG] VPN was OT: working abroad

On 20/08/2018 11:47, Paul Sutton wrote:

Just renamed the subject header as the topic has changed or moved
towards VPNs

I agree that learning more about VPNs could be of interest to people,
the sort of thing we could discuss at a tech jam or lug meet.

However just a general introduction, so we can also ask questions.
Granted we can just 'look things up'  but the whole point of physical
events is the social side of things.

we all have our own experiences which enhances any talks.

Anyway if someone would like to do a 'talk' at a future jam then they
are welcome,  planned in advance then hopefully any interested parties
can attend.

Paul

While I'm not up for to give a formal talk or presentation on VPNs I would be happy to attend anything in the Torbay area and provide advice and discussion with anything to do with VPNs.

I'm a network professional who has been setting up all manner of VPNs for Commercial Companies, Charities, as well as home tinkering with the various technologies and open source solutions for over 20 years.

Specific areas of interest/expertise:

OpenVPN (open source VPN software, available on Linux, FreeBSD)
IPSEC Site to Site (Technology for VPNs between multiple networks - network on both sides) Simple SSH Tunnelling with Linux & Putty (Easiest way to get access to a remote desktop at home from a laptop on your travels) DynDNS (Needed In the absence of a static IP to know what your current IP is at home) Pfsense (FreeBSD based Firewall with strong VPN features for both point-to-site and site-to-site VPNs) Cisco (High End Commercial manufacturer of devices incorporating VPN technologies) IPSEC on Android (Set up of VPN on a smart phone to connect to home / commercial network). Azure IPSEC (configure virtual machines in the cloud and securely connect them to on-premises networks - would be similar on Amazon AWS I imagine)
Raspberry Pi solutions (Openvpn, ssh)
+ lots more