Re: [LUG] OT: working abroad

On 19/08/18 17:33, Martijn Grooten wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 19, 2018 at 03:28:57PM +0000, mr meowski wrote:
>> Martijn didn't say but I'd imagine that the vast majority of his traffic
>> whilst travelling was VPN'd as a matter of course?
>
> No.
>
> I often use VPNs, sometimes as a matter of course, sometimes to bypass
> various geolocation based restrictions. Certainly not all the time
> though. Because traffic either uses end-to-end encryption (HTTPS, SSH)
> or, in the unlikely case didn't, I don't even know whether I should
> trust some remote server more than my fellow travellers at the airport.

Fair enough for commercial services but doesn't apply to the OpenVPN
instance at home* or running on a VPS somewhere you setup yourself.

In 2018 using a VPN to secure yourself against incompetent/malicious
networks, service provider DNS "features", traffic logging, etc is just
standard practice surely? Not only for protection whilst travelling
either, home traffic should be VPN'd by default as well to protect you
and your family from err, well, everything. ISP and Government mischief
being top of the list.

I'm going to be pretty mind boggled if literally nobody else here is
using VPNs all the time for everything...

Cheers

* also granted that an OpenVPN at home for constant usage does require a
pretty decent broadband connection