Re: [LUG] Email clients

On 06/08/18 14:00, Neil wrote:
> On 05/08/18 13:59, Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:
>>
>> KMail is an application. It used the QT libraries (as to all other KDE
>> based applications) to draw the window (amongst other things).
>> KDE is a "desktop environment", which uses the QT libraries. It also
>> provides various communication frameworks so applications can
>> communicate with eachother without too much fuss.
>> However, KMail will still work on **any** desktop system as long as
>> the QT libraries are installed.
>> You can, quite happily, mix and match your applications. Want to run
>> KMail to handle your emails, whilst using Thunar to handle your files
>> management, and Epiphany to browse the web? Absolutely fine.
>>
>> Grant. :)
>>

> I have now had a look at kmail. Luckily I tried it on a spare laptop
> which I use for tests. I am sorry but I just did not get on with it. For
> a start it keeps banging on about something called kwallet. I don't want
> to use that, but it is difficult to avoid it. Then, when I set it up for
> one of my accounts to test, I did not get the layout I expected. I
> thought to see a list of all the emails held in the inbox. I still
> haven't worked out what is showing.
>
> I will go on looking, but I have become more impatient with old age, and
> I just can't be bothered. I certainly won't be using kmail.
>
> Neil

KWallet is a password store that saves your email passwords, it is a
method of ensuring KMail uses the password from KWallet, where it stores
your email password.
I have KMail showing the same as Thunderbird, list or email addresses on
left, emails for specific email inbox/out-box on right ordered by date.
Note it tries to show emails by subject name groupings ('Conversations')
I think by default as that was popular at one time (as in GMail set ups).
Change this in properties.
KWallet is part of set of K sub-programs necessary for KMail to run
properly.
--
Regards,
Eion MacDonald