Re: [LUG] Email clients

On 05/08/18 13:59, Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:

KMail is an application. It used the QT libraries (as to all other KDE based applications) to draw the window (amongst other things). KDE is a "desktop environment", which uses the QT libraries. It also provides various communication frameworks so applications can communicate with eachother without too much fuss. However, KMail will still work on **any** desktop system as long as the QT libraries are installed. You can, quite happily, mix and match your applications. Want to run KMail to handle your emails, whilst using Thunar to handle your files management, and Epiphany to browse the web? Absolutely fine.

Grant. :)

I have now had a look at kmail. Luckily I tried it on a spare laptop which I use for tests. I am sorry but I just did not get on with it. For a start it keeps banging on about something called kwallet. I don't want to use that, but it is difficult to avoid it. Then, when I set it up for one of my accounts to test, I did not get the layout I expected. I thought to see a list of all the emails held in the inbox. I still haven't worked out what is showing.

I will go on looking, but I have become more impatient with old age, and I just can't be bothered. I certainly won't be using kmail.

Neil