Re: [LUG] Safety Check

On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 09:24:57 +0000
Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Saturday 14 Nov 2015 08:42:55 Neil Winchurst wrote:
> >
> > I recently watched some programs on the TV about scams and such.
> > Scary. Anyway I do try to be safe online, though my wife thinks I
> > am a bit OTT.
>
> I'm minded you sound a little over the top.

Thanks, my wife would be pleased to hear that.

> > It is linked to the router by cable, no wifi.
> > The UFW firewall is on.
>
> As Martijn notes WiFi using WPA2 and a good password is pretty good
> security- wise, subject to who you share it with.
>
> I run with open WiFi, but I segregate it from my personal stuff, and
> I insist all my computers are always capable of standing on their own
> two feet. So minimal listening services.

I do have wifi set up, with WPA2 and a long password.My wife has her
laptop downstairs so needs it.

> > I always run any updates.
>
> Good.
>

> > Email
> > I do use the spam filter.
>
> The really nasty stuff often doesn't look like spam, but is a cut and
> paste of the text from genuine emails with slightly changed links,
> which limits what the spam filters can do.
>
> Google are exceptionally good as an email provider at removing the
> garbage.
>
> > I am very careful about what links I click on.
>
> This one is the only thing that worries me, humans make mistakes.

Yes, of  course. All you can do is be careful.

> Ideally you want mechanical backup here.

I do have plenty of backups.

> The big browsers offer some sort of automated checking for visiting
> dodgy links, there is some privacy trade-off with some, others
> download a bunch of suspect sites. Like anti-malware they only spot
> sites known to be abusive.
>
> Avoid anything using Web of Trust (WoT) as they crowdsource badly
> last time I checked.
>
> > Browser
> > I use noscript, ghostery, AdBlock plus, Privacy Badger
> > However at the moment I do not use any VPN.
> > Mostly when browsing I use Duckduckgo or Startpage.
>
> I tried DuckDuckGo but you lose a lot of functionality from raw
> Google.
>
> The reason to avoid it is that Google will learn about you or people
> using your computer from the search terms. Its a trade-off.

I also use startpage to search.

> > Phone
> > I do have a mobile phone, but it is not a smart phone.
>
> Smart phones are cool.

I am not against them and in fact I do have one, but I rarely use it.
I  just don't find a need for it when I am out.

> > So am I OTT? Or do I not do enough?
>
> Slightly over the top except....
>
> Passwords are the big one missing. Use of unique complex passwords on
> each site, no patterns between sites, no reuse. Enable 2FA where you
> can (without a smartphone that may require hardware tokens (U2F) and
> using Chromium....).

Again, I do not use the same password on different sites. I plan to go
to keepassx when the new version is finally ready.

Neil