Re: [LUG] Chromium Browser

For what it's worth, the only time I have process problems with Firefox
is when using it to view the Shop Security cams, after a few hours being
in a browser Tab, and then the Screensaver locks, try to get back in
again and All cores hit 100% for a bout 5 mims! before giving me the
desktop back. Killing Firefox helps but as tom says it would be nice to
just kill a tab.

mjpg memory issue. This was something that caused me some considerable problems too. Strangely enough, FF never used to have this issue - the bug was introduces sometime just before the version numbers went strospheric. I reported it and filed a bug report, but it was closed without resolution because it was deemed unlikely to cause problems to many people. It's disappointing that's still a problem after several years.

Simply put - I believe a jpg library used by FF was changed, and the new one did not release memory effectively. FF's memory usage continues to alloc as it receives images until there is no more. This was certainly the case on a windows client, I never used that aspect under linux. Â(Many cctv streams using mjpeg/mjpg which is just a collection of still images stitched together really fast, no audio).Â

If yours was mp4 or mpeg streams, then it may be something else.Â

My solution was to switch to chrome. Now - this also crashes on some streams after a long time (hours), but at doesn't take out other tabs, just displays the "Oh snap" page.