Re: [LUG] HPFS+ partition mounting read only

On 08/08/15 20:52, Jay Bennie wrote:
On 8 Aug 2015, at 01:00, mr meowski <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 07/08/15 20:17, Björn Grohmann wrote:
Hello all (20:17 7.8.2015) am looking for advice on how to mount an
HPFS+ partition as rw read write in Linux please. To give a little
background to my question...a MacBook user friend who shal remain
nameless, deleted important files. Now the MacBook does not boot to its
OS anymore. I can see the files (read only) in Trash. I want to restore
them to their original folders, but cannot as the target drive mounts as
ro read only. The target drive is connected externally to my Linux Mint
system via a usb cable. As root I can issue the usual 'mount -o rw
/dev/sdb2 /mnt/sdb2' but get the following message

mount: warning: /mnt/sdb2/ seems to be mounted read-only

Have been reading Google & other search sites for some time with no joy.
I hope that some brave soul on here has experienced something similar
and emerged wiser than I have.

Björn
Please trust me on this: I have been down this route a million times.
You can *not* use linux to fix this. You will need another fully
functional Mac. The filesystem is not only damaged but is also natively
HFS+, which linux can not reliably handle without removing the journal
(making it just HFS). If you mount that disk r/w under linux you're
going to make things so, so much worse.

Feel free to ask for more help, I don't mean to just piss on your
fireworks :/

Totally second that opinion.

Option a)
Using a second mac (any mac with a working osx install) (or a working OSX install on
an external disk) use the target boot option at power up to select a disk to act as
the OS. ()

http://osxdaily.com/2010/04/07/how-to-boot-a-mac-in-target-disk-mode/

Once booted plug in a second new disk and use diskutility to clone (do not mount)
the broken local disk to the empty external disk.

http://superuser.com/questions/618999/osx-create-a-hdd-clone

if your local HD is removable (i.e. its not an integrated flash drive ), remove it. and
fit a replacement (usually any 7mm SATA will fit (slim 2.5'), some model will accept a
standard 2.4"(9.5mm) )

(you want to keep the original, because a clone may not pick up everything)
(if its not removable, do the clean install on an external disk)
Ps. update to SSD it makes a big difference with all OSX's >10.9. and Ext firewire
disks are solid as a remote boot option.
Install a fresh OS to the disk you are going to regularly boot from.

Use this procedure to download and copy OSX to a FLASH drive (on the other mac... )
http://osxdaily.com/2014/10/16/make-os-x-yosemite-boot-install-drive/

If you worked thought all this you should have

a) 2 working macs
        1 with a clean install booting from a new disk
        the spare with its original disk intact

b) a bootable USB OXS installer image.

c) your original disk + a clone (optional)  which can be worked on with DR Tools to
recover files.

... now you can look into these options Or if truly valuable send the disk to a
forensics lab.

http://lifehacker.com/5951822/how-can-i-recover-data-from-a-dead-or-erased-hard-drive

Cheers

* many, many years supporting Apple $STUFF

Sound advice from both jay and mr meowski thank you. I have taken on board what you have advised, and will attempt repairs tomorrow when a working loan MacBook arrives.
**
Cheers Björn