Re: [LUG] HPFS+ partition mounting read only

On 8 Aug 2015, at 01:00, mr meowski <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 07/08/15 20:17, Björn Grohmann wrote:
>> Hello all (20:17 7.8.2015) am looking for advice on how to mount an
>> HPFS+ partition as rw read write in Linux please. To give a little
>> background to my question...a MacBook user friend who shal remain
>> nameless, deleted important files. Now the MacBook does not boot to its
>> OS anymore. I can see the files (read only) in Trash. I want to restore
>> them to their original folders, but cannot as the target drive mounts as
>> ro read only. The target drive is connected externally to my Linux Mint
>> system via a usb cable. As root I can issue the usual 'mount -o rw
>> /dev/sdb2 /mnt/sdb2' but get the following message
>>
>> mount: warning: /mnt/sdb2/ seems to be mounted read-only
>>
>> Have been reading Google & other search sites for some time with no joy.
>> I hope that some brave soul on here has experienced something similar
>> and emerged wiser than I have.
>>
>> Björn
>
> Please trust me on this: I have been down this route a million times.
> You can *not* use linux to fix this. You will need another fully
> functional Mac. The filesystem is not only damaged but is also natively
> HFS+, which linux can not reliably handle without removing the journal
> (making it just HFS). If you mount that disk r/w under linux you're
> going to make things so, so much worse.
>
> Feel free to ask for more help, I don't mean to just piss on your
> fireworks :/

Totally second that opinion.

Option a)
Using a second mac (any mac with a working osx install) (or a working OSX install on
an external disk) use the target boot option at power up to select a disk to act as
the OS. ()

http://osxdaily.com/2010/04/07/how-to-boot-a-mac-in-target-disk-mode/

Once booted plug in a second new disk and use diskutility to clone (do not mount)
the broken local disk to the empty external disk.

http://superuser.com/questions/618999/osx-create-a-hdd-clone

if your local HD is removable (i.e. its not an integrated flash drive ), remove it.
and fit a replacement (usually any 7mm SATA will fit (slim 2.5'), some model will
accept a standard 2.4"(9.5mm) )

(you want to keep the original, because a clone may not pick up everything)
(if its not removable, do the clean install on an external disk)
Ps. update to SSD it makes a big difference with all OSX's >10.9. and Ext firewire
disks are solid as a remote boot option.
Install a fresh OS to the disk you are going to regularly boot from.

Use this procedure to download and copy OSX to a FLASH drive (on the other mac... )
http://osxdaily.com/2014/10/16/make-os-x-yosemite-boot-install-drive/

If you worked thought all this you should have

a) 2 working macs
        1 with a clean install booting from a new disk
        the spare with its original disk intact

b) a bootable USB OXS installer image.

c) your original disk + a clone (optional)  which can be worked on with DR Tools to
recover files.

... now you can look into these options Or if truly valuable send the disk to a
forensics lab.

http://lifehacker.com/5951822/how-can-i-recover-data-from-a-dead-or-erased-hard-drive