Re: [LUG] Odd behaviour

Without addressing all your points, I can't help but notice:

A: You have quite an old computer? 4:3 resolutions indicate you're using
a CRT (nothing wrong with that) and the graphics card you're using is a
Nvidia Riva TNT2, which could be up to 15 years old. It's perhaps not
surprising that you are experiencing problems running a full modern
distro on hardware of that vintage. Dare I ask what CPU/RAM you have?

B: You're quite right about fault attribution after all: Debian can't be
held fully responsible for the crazy upstream bugginess of Gnome3, but
then again, they do ship it by default... It's most definitely not
*your* fault, that's for sure.

I have a couple of suggestions for you anyway though. With a gfx card
that old, it's unlikely that you're running decent drivers unless you've
fought your way through the Nvidia legacy install nightmare: you're
probably running on the open source Nouveau driver instead (which is
philosophically admirable, but technically it's borderline useless).
Rendering issues tend to massively impact modern compositing desktop
managers which is quite probably why your Systems Settings isn't working
properly. Can you try running:

glxinfo | grep "direct rendering"

If it complains about program not found, you will need to "sudo apt-get
install mesa-utils" to install glxinfo. If the answer is "No", which it
probably will be, Gnome3 was doomed from the start on your hardware -
you need to install a proper driver and get direct rendering working
properly to get any semblance of a modern desktop environment
functional. That of course doesn't preclude you from using OpenBox,
LDXE, XFCE or whatever (although XFCE also benefits from hardware
compositing) lightweight tool you prefer.

Have you tried or thought about the Mint/Debian edition distro - it's
Debian based rather than Ubuntu (you seem to be used to Debian, good
call) but very friendly and good at sorting out the sort of stuff that
can be a headache to non-gurus on stock Debian - automatic driver
installs, etc. If you don't fancy that at all, you strike me perhaps as
a bit of an old school user who is still missing Gnome 2 and not
particularly keen on either upgrading your perfectly functional hardware
or putting up with modern DE craziness: Mint offer Debian compatible
repos for both of their alternative desktop environments, Mate and
Cinnamon. Mate particularly might interest you as it's effectively a
resurrection of the old Gnome 2 desktop. All the information you could
want for this is at:

http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/download
http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/

You also mentioned "apt-downgrade": I must caution you, *NEVER* even
attempt this. Whilst it is moderately trivial to back out individual bad
packages on a case by case basis, particularly on Sid or Jesse with any
experimental or backport repos added, I can assure you with 100%
confidence if you ever try to fully downgrade from one Debian flavour to
another (i.e., Wheezy > Squeeze) you will utterly destroy your OS. Your
data should survive, but you'll be using a rescue disk to access it.
Seriously.

And don't worry about asking for answers: what else am I supposed to at
this time of night when the missus is away on a night shift and I'm
waiting for things to compile?

Regards