Re: [LUG] Log Rotation + Rsync

On 15/08/13 02:42, Kai Hendry wrote:
> I uses rsyslog-ng with papertrail for an archive. I'm using systemd's
> journalctl on my local system which has some security features such as
> Forward Secure Sealing (FSS), though I haven't bothered to look into
> it yet.

For those who are interested (primarily security bods I'd imagine) and
didn't already know, FSS is quite interesting - it's a relatively newish
addition to the journalctl part of systemd, which is of course another
creation of my favourite love-to-hate linux hacker, the dreaded Lennart
Poettering. It's a different approach to securing your logs,
particularly in the case of attackers gaining full root on your box and
then hiding all their tracks. Whereas rsyslog would send your logs to
another - and hopefully much better secured - server for archiving out
of the reach of the hacker, FSS uses an ephemeral key pair to encrypt
logs on the local machine after a certain interval (the admin has to
maintain the access key out of band*, which could have a scaling
problem). So the attacker could completely wipe the logs which is highly
likely to trigger an alert, but they can't tamper with them, even as root.

I'd ask Kai how he was getting on with it, but annoyingly the first
other person I've seen who even knows what it is doesn't use it!

Lennart himself describes it much better at a very interesting google+
post (I know, I know) here:
https://plus.google.com/115547683951727699051/posts/g1E6AxVKtyc

I highly recommend it, particularly for the comments section below,
which is, well, pretty much what you'd expect from anything involving
Lennart. Love him or hate him**, he does make a splash.

For me, the most interesting thing that I learnt was not that Lennart
himself hacked up this latest monstrosity, but terrifyingly he has a
brother who apparently is a post-doctorate in cryptography and upon
whom's work FSS is based on. So now we have two Poetterings for the
price of one, seemingly conspiring to ruin*** Linux one step at a time.
I can't wait to see what they come up with next!

I really feel that both of them have kind of missed a trick here, but
then so has pretty much every other OS ever made with one glaring
exception: Plan9 from Bell Labs. No root user. Venti WORM datastore. Job
done - I keep Plan9 From User Space on most of my personal linux boxes
mainly for this reason, so I can talk to the "glenda" box running in the
garage.

Regards

* by QR code... I shit you not! Or writing it down on a piece of paper.
Seriously, read the link.
** considering I don't actually know the man, I'd go with neither, but I
really hate pretty much every program he's ever written, except
PulseAudio, which I really like for some reason.
*** or save, depending on who you ask.