Re: [LUG] Odd behaviour

On Aug 15, 2013, bad apple wrote:

> A: You have quite an old computer? 4:3 resolutions indicate you're using
> a CRT (nothing wrong with that)

It's a CRT, yes, which I realise uses a lot of current. I got it from a
guy who was about to throw it in a skip.

> Dare I ask what CPU/RAM you have?

It's an Athlon 64 3000+. I built the PC a few years ago and used a graphics
card I happened to have around.

> glxinfo | grep "direct rendering"

This yields "yes". Your remarks are very relevant though in the case of the
second PC, where the CPU is (try not to laugh):

 Genuine Intel(R) Celeron(TM) CPU     1100MHz

Is it easy to replace a CPU?
The graphics card is the same and direct rendering is again "yes".

With a bit of effort I got Gnome running quite well on the second PC but
I still had to do 'xrandr -s 1024x768' every time I logged in. Then I read
your suggestion about

> http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/download

so I went to the wiki and installed mate-core and I agree this is a great
improvement and more what my wife is used to. I can adjust the resolution
and the background and the only drawback is that you have to click twice
on icons; as far as I can see the control center does not let you change it.
So I'll stick with mate.

> You also mentioned "apt-downgrade":

I wasn't serious.

> And don't worry about asking for answers:

You are most helpful. And having learned on the second PC I am confident
that when I have got my breath back I can replace the graphics card(s) and
move to Wheezy on the first PC.