Re: [LUG] OpenCD / OpenDisc / Something?

On 16/07/13 18:43, Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:

> Thanks Matt. I was hoping for a CD/DVD image - I know it's me being
> lazy, but honestly first impressions count and if I were to download
> the installers and make my own "front end" to it all, it really
> wouldn't look that good. I'm doing a short presentation about Free
> Software to my local business networking group(s) and I would like to
> be able to offer the discs. Grant.

In 2013, there's really no point whatsoever in distributing software on
DVDs, thumb drives, etc: by the time you've finished mastering the
image, half of the included software will be out of date and most likely
vulnerable. Anything that's installed from those masters in the next
month or two will immediately have to be updated, making the whole thing
an exercise in complete pointlessness. A much better approach would
likely be a website with links out to the current downloads available
from the various projects' homepages: luckily, there are many of these
websites already available (just use google) so you don't have to go to
any effort.

Fun fact: google just 'helpfully' 'corrected' my search for "best free
oss apps" to: "do you mean best free IOS apps?" Damn you google, I meant
what I typed.

Regards