Re: [LUG] Beaglebone Black

On 25/04/13 18:05, Richard Brown wrote:
Hi Guys

Just reading through some of the links and read this:
<http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/09/99-raspberry-pi-sized-supercomputer-touted-in-kickstarter-project/>

What do you think?

And this:
<http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/04/power-of-arduino-and-raspberry-pi-combined-in-99-androidlinux-pc/>

I read somewhere that CPC will be getting these in soon at around £33 ish.
In terms of my off-grid project these computers start to look excellent. Still a question on monitors. I can use laptops quite comfortably with my off-grid system, so why can't I use a laptop monitor?

I could be wrong on this, but I believe that laptop screens don't use VGA or DVI/HDMI but something called LVDS.

This might point you in the right direction... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0IiXl88Sfw

I remember seeing something on the web (don't have the link to hand) where someone got some sort of board to convert from HDMI on a Raspberry Pi to LVDS, but I believe it wasn't so cheap. You might find that some LCD monitors have external power supplies, I've seen some Acer widescreen LCDs which have netbook sized power supplies (IIRC 19 volts around 1.5 amps). It might be possible to find an LCD monitor which will work happily at 12 volts, although I'm not an expert by any means on batteries.

Rob