Re: [LUG] Too cold to measure temps

> You can't measure the temperature because you have been let-down by a PC
> maker

Well yes.  Clearly they've used a sign 8-bit char where they
shouldn't, and also clearly, they don't intend fixing it! Annoying,
but I'll probably relocate the sensor to inside the case and pretend
ambient means something different...

> - or your running a PC outside their recommended limits - it's

For a manufacturer to insist on a safe working range of +10c to +35c
is very restrictive, I think. And without any basis. Like you, I've
run kit in all kinds of unsuitable locations and generally things
behave very well.

> Years ago when I was involved with the Buckfastleigh (& Cambourne & Penwith)
> Wi-Fi broadband projects I had servers/routers in all sorts of weird places
> - fortunately they were hand-built Linux PCs, so I was able to make sure
> that they'd work - one was in a sealed box at the top of the lift-shaft in

The box this replaces was hand-built. Generally I'm moving away from
them now because HP in particular sell well made robust servers
cheaper than I can screw the bits together for.

Irony being I wanted this box specifically for the ILO, and that was
what shut it down. :/

> register temperatures of 50-60C... One was in an open barn on a farm 1100'
> up on Dartmoor - that got down to -10 at one point - the PC was OK - the
> biggest issue there was snow filling up the microwave dishes and blocking
> transmissions.

Heh, excellent. Of my kit, I've noticed D-Link poe splitters don't
like anything much below -5c and tend to shut up shop, but tp-link and
others are happy. And I've yet to have a computer die in the uk
climate apart from artificial reasons like this.

> it stopped one day - the owners (of the shed) said it looked like it was
> powered up, but was smelling funny - so a trip down and we found that a
> mouse had gotten inside somehow then decided to exit via the fan and
> promptly shredded itself.... The server must have carried on working for
> some time - long enough for the mouse to start rotting which shorted
> something out on the motherboard...

Nice! The Register has a gallery of pictures of things like this. Not
good on a full stomach or if you care about computers.

> Computers in weird places... Nah, just don't do it!

Needs must!

I used to use a BBS in Dawlish through the 90s that ran in the guy's
loft. I recall a message he sent once after not hearing from him for
ages - "Oh, I forgot it was still running..."