Re: [LUG] Too cold to measure temps

On Tue, 12 Mar 2013, Simon Avery wrote:

So I can't measure how cold it is, because it's too cold!

You can't measure the temperature because you have been let-down by a PC maker - or your running a PC outside their recommended limits - it's probably no unnexpected to for your typical desktop PC to run at "room temperature" though...

Years ago when I was involved with the Buckfastleigh (& Cambourne & Penwith) Wi-Fi broadband projects I had servers/routers in all sorts of weird places - fortunately they were hand-built Linux PCs, so I was able to make sure that they'd work - one was in a sealed box at the top of the lift-shaft in the Cambourne school of Art (it's probably still there) that would regularly register temperatures of 50-60C... One was in an open barn on a farm 1100' up on Dartmoor - that got down to -10 at one point - the PC was OK - the biggest issue there was snow filling up the microwave dishes and blocking transmissions. The most interesting however was one in a shed at Penwith - it stopped one day - the owners (of the shed) said it looked like it was powered up, but was smelling funny - so a trip down and we found that a mouse had gotten inside somehow then decided to exit via the fan and promptly shredded itself.... The server must have carried on working for some time - long enough for the mouse to start rotting which shorted something out on the motherboard...

Computers in weird places... Nah, just don't do it!

Gordon