Re: [LUG] Linux - and security

On Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 11:18 PM, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> I do not have a static set up for the router. I have checked my ISP's
> website  and they will provide it but it will cost 'extra'. I have not
> yet checked the cost, will ring them tomorrow.

I think what bad apple meant was for your machines to have a static
_internal_ IP address. (One that usually, but not always, starts with
192.168.) I agree it can be useful for all machines to have a fixed
local IP address, but for an average user it's not essential.

Most routers can give the same IP address to the same machine every
time, which in practise gives you static addresses. I think that's
good enough.

What your ISP can offer you is a static _public_ IP address. I don't
think you need that.

> I will look into SSH but I have a feeling I have to arrange for it to be
> set up. Or perhaps I am not understanding it properly. Anyway I will
> study the relevant replies carefully and see how I get on.

SSH is a secure way to connect to a remote machine. For instance your
own machine if you're on the road.

Given how I understand you use your computers, I don't think you need
to worry about SSH.

Martijn.