Re: [LUG] Linux - and security

On Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 4:29 PM, Tony Sumner wrote:
> I use ftp to send stuff to my website. If I should stop what else is there?

There's sftp, which uses ssh, but I don't think many hosts offer that
these days.

Some CMS's offer web-based file uploads, but this generally means
directories have to be writeable by the web server, which isn't ideal.

In most cases, ftp is your only option really. The most important
thing is never to use it:
- over unsecured wifi;
- on someone else's computer.

And, ideally, you shouldn't make your computer remember your password.

That should reduce the chances of someone being able to get hold of
your credentials significantly.

No to zero though, so if there's a way for you to see when someone has
uploaded files (using server logs or something), it's a good idea to
regularly check, and contact your host (and change your password) if
you find someone else has had access.

Martijn.

PS if you are able to use sftp, all of the above still applies (except
for the unsecured wifi): the most likely attack scenarios are through
keyloggers recording you entering your password and through the
password being stored in a predictable place on the computer. Sftp
helps against neither of these.