Re: [LUG] Linux - and security

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 3:50 PM, Simon Waters wrote:
> I think that malware might use ftp is the wrong reason to block ftp. They can use
> http to upload your files, or transfer the data over DNS, few people or companies
> block DNS entirely. The malware authors will likely opt for the most likely to
> work, so likely http.

That's all true of course. In theory, blocking (outbound) FTP doesn't
make a system more secure as there are many ways to circumvent such a
block -- and, as you rightly point out, many of them are unblockable,
at least at the protocol level.

In practise, I'd say that for your average user blocking what's not
really used is a good security practise. Especially if, in the case of
the hub we're discussing, you're only part the system's security.

Martijn.