Re: [LUG] Linux - and security

I think that malware might use ftp is the wrong reason to block ftp. They can use
http to upload your files, or transfer the data over DNS, few people or companies
block DNS entirely. The malware authors will likely opt for the most likely to work,
so likely http.

If you routinely have to use ftp then a firewall that gets in the way it is simply
overly intrusive security.

The issue with ftp is it uses plain text passwords. I've had to clean up after
windows malware on a friends PC stole ftp credentials and installed nasties on the
webserver. It installed an ftp proxy and thus able to steal ftp credentials from any
program using ftp without needing to be customized for the environment it is in.

I think this is a good example of how a well known protocol weakness (plain text
passwords), makes an attack easier after security is compromised. Sure they had
admin access, they could have done anything, but stealing ftp credentials gave them
access to well connected webservers (mostly Linux boxes).

But even I'm guilty of not doing enough to stamp out ftp.

In general I think NAT does a nice firewall job in that it stops incoming, it just
doesn't do it terribly well. Typically when I'm firewalling Linux I'm doing the
same, blocking all but required incoming traffic. So if someone (usually me) messes
up and starts a service unexpectedly it still can't receive traffic.

We have similar discussions in the archive for those who are learning stuff from
rehashing this here.