Re: [LUG] Bah! Disks! Bah!

Gordon Henderson wrote:
As part of a network, I ran a router outside for over a year once - it was in a box bolted 10' up a wall on the inside of an open barn 1000' up on Dartmoor (Line of sight to Marldon and another farm on Church hill by Buckfastleigh)

It had 2 x Maxtor drives in it - the early ones and I graphed some temperatures once I'd worked out how to read the sensors on the motherboards. I don't have quite a full year, however:

http://unicorn.drogon.net/temp/

That's the only one I managed to archive the data from - one was inside a sealed box at the top of the lift shaft in the tower at Cambourne art college - it ran at about 50C constantly, another in a rack in a "portacabin" at the bottom of the big tower in Sowton, (that was hot in the summer too - no AC) another in another barn near Lands end (that one died after a mouse crawled in, pissed all over the motherboard then tried to get out through the fan...) And a couple of others scattered about... (Rob, you might actually have the one that was on Dartmooor ;-)

Gordon

I'm glad I didn't have the one with the mouse in it. :-o

Rob