Re: [LUG] Bah! Disks! Bah!

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010, Dave Morgan wrote:

The disks were 30Gb SCSI. Note most of the failures were not
terminal, we would come in in the morning to find the machine
locked up, and it would work fine after rebooting.

Possibly the disks were getting so cold that something was
binding inside as the metal shrunk.

Unlikely, but you never know...

As part of a network, I ran a router outside for over a year once - it was in a box bolted 10' up a wall on the inside of an open barn 1000' up on Dartmoor (Line of sight to Marldon and another farm on Church hill by Buckfastleigh)

It had 2 x Maxtor drives in it - the early ones and I graphed some temperatures once I'd worked out how to read the sensors on the motherboards. I don't have quite a full year, however:

http://unicorn.drogon.net/temp/

That's the only one I managed to archive the data from - one was inside a sealed box at the top of the lift shaft in the tower at Cambourne art college - it ran at about 50C constantly, another in a rack in a "portacabin" at the bottom of the big tower in Sowton, (that was hot in the summer too - no AC) another in another barn near Lands end (that one died after a mouse crawled in, pissed all over the motherboard then tried to get out through the fan...) And a couple of others scattered about... (Rob, you might actually have the one that was on Dartmooor ;-)

Gordon