Re: [LUG] Upgrading Ubuntu

On Sat, 2009-12-12 at 11:19 +0000, Peter Lloyd-Jones wrote:
> Hi
>
> I was going to upgrade to 9.10, but having read
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KarmicUpgrades
> I think I will wait as my Lappy has a 128MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 6200 and my Desktop
> a 3D Prophet 9200 128 (which I think also has NVIDIA stuff in it!  However have
> got to 9.4 OK.
>
> That is unless someone else knows differently!

I was hit by the bug where the desktop fails to come up, you are left
looking at a "blinking" text login prompt. The computer is very
unresponsive and it isn't really possible to login still.... BUT. Press
ctrl+alt+F1-F5 a couple times and you should land at a prompt that isn't
blinking, or at the grub menu choose the recovery login.

Then I simply followed these instructions at:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8205792&postcount=28
in this thread:  http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1305459&page=3

Essentially its just a case of manually using commandline ftp to
download the current nvidia driver, and install it... Simples!

Keep the driver in the home folder or someplace safe, because when you
upgrade the kernal you will have to do the same, don't panic though it
only takes a couple minutes to do and once downloaded its a simple case
of logging in and running:

./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-190.42-pkg1.run
note the dot slash at the start is super important

There are other fixes mentioned in the thread, or the launchpad report,
but this is what worked for me and reinstalling the driver really is no
trouble at all.

I think the GDM bug has been fixed which was one cause of this, also if
you edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change the    :
Driver         "nvidia"
Driver         "nv"
It should boot fine, but wouldn't have accelerated graphics. I would
suggest using the fix I used if any, latest driver and all.

Remember, you are more likely not going to be affected than are, for the
majority of people have no problem.

--
John Williams
My linux blog of notes and guides