Re: [LUG] And then it went *phut* ...

Gordon Henderson wrote:
However I did almost burn myself on removing the PSU - it was red hot!

Now making me thing twice about leaving PC's on 24/7 - especially in an unoccupied house.... But where would you draw the line? All the phone charger PSUs we have, PSUs for ADSL modem/routers, Wi-Fi access points, (I did have one of those almost catch fire too - wish I'd kept it!)
That sounds like two separate but related issues.

Ventilation. A cupboard under the stairs doesn't sound that well ventilated so hot air coming out of the back of the computer doesn't have anywhere to go, except build up and *theoretically* get sucked in the front eventually making matters worse.

The PSU rating. I always tend to over-engineer on this and use a good quality (the heavier the better) PSU rated higher than I think I'm going to need. That way I end up with a reliable good quality PSU running under capacity and therefore cooler.

Kind regards,

Julian