Re: [LUG] Credit scoring (was Re: Identity theft (continuing topic))

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 02:18:56PM +0000, Clare Shepherd wrote:
> I suppose my beef is with the  fact that people's lives can be
> affected by their credit rating, when  the rating is mistaken. I
> live in a house where the previous occupant  skipped the country
> owing the Inland Revenue, their employer, a bank,  and the DHSS. I
> was hassled for months and even had phone abuse from  the previous
> occupants creditors when I stated I didn't know where  they were.
> Sorry if the touchiness on the subject led to a rant, as  you so
> accurately said.

Yes it can be a hassle, but I think it would be far worse if credit
history did not exist as you would have no way to address these
issues.  Everything that you've experienced would still be
happening, but worse because there would be no central store of
information so you'd have to correct it in multiple places (many of
which you won't know about ahead of time).

There are ways and means of sorting this out.  Apologies if you have
been through all this already, but in the case where you live at an
address that previously got bad debt you can put on file that you
are not associated with the previous tenants.

This can also be done when people at the same address but
independent of you cause problems, for example I know a case where a
father's problems with the Inland Revenue (as it was) prevented his
son from getting a mortgage due to the bad credit record of family
member at same address.  The son just had to write to the credit
reporting agency to state that his finances were not related to the
father's, and it was sorted out.  If the credit reporting agency did
not exist then perhaps the son would have no way to get an
affordable mortgage due to how much higher the interest rate would
have to be to compensate.

Now, some companies still choose to see bad debt at an address to
mean that they should not do business with that address, but that is
completely their own choice and to say it shouldn't happen is to
dictate who they should be allowed to trade with.  In individual
cases it may not be fair, but that's business, and is actually an
argument FOR using credit reporting agencies more.

Finally, if you are being harassed by debt collectors, this is
illegal.  All you need do is write to them to explain why the debt
is not owed (in this case because you're not the people they are
after) and that they should not contact you again.  If they do
continue to go after you then this is harassment of a debtor and it
is an offence which you can take them to court over.

I do not see how any of these circumstances could be improved by
doing away with the central records, and in many cases I could
imagine it getting worse.

Cheers,
Andy