Re: [LUG] Credit scoring (was Re: Identity theft (continuing topic))

On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 02:18:56PM +0000, Clare Shepherd wrote:

> Sorry, I deleted a clause, but didn't redo, I know Experian et al.
> don't give credit, but surely their sources are the credit giving
> companies,

Yes but not necessarily the formal credit sector (banks and credit card companies,
who tend to be able to collect their own raw data and use the agencies to supplement
this). They also include, as in your case anyone who is owed money: eg landlords,
mobile phone companies, store credit ie anyone who gives credit.

Their credit scores are only accurate if they collect as much relevent information
as possible.

I do not know if they charge for collecting data: I would guess they have to pay for
the data they collect (and they charge for providing the risk profile to the buyer).

The problem is getting inaccurate data removed from your record: when you try the
agencies do not want to know. You have to contact the underlying company and get the
problem resolved with them

--
Henry
Wed Nov 28 15:23:07 GMT 2007