Re: [LUG] another waste of time for computers

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 19:09:58 +0000
Peter Lloyd-Jones <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I use real player and ubuntu.  I find that to watch the clips I must
> download the .ram file onto my desktop, and open with real player.
> However I feel I must be able to "make it happen" directly from
> Firefox.
>
> Peter

On my Debian systems, I use mplayer (with the w32codecs and LiveMedia
libraries from Debian-Multimedia).  Sometimes it can be a bit of a
fiddle getting it to play the .ram file, but as the .ram file is
(usually) only a text file with an RTSP uri as its contents, it's not
hard to get it to play nicely.  Indeed, for a while I had my fileserver
set up to 'archive' the Radio 1 Rock Show as MP3s so I could listen to
them in the car later. ;)

--Grant