Re: [LUG] another waste of time for computers

On Friday 09 March 2007 17:50, james kilty wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 16:10 +0000, Mark Jose wrote:
> > Since you have Kubuntu, simply right clicking and selecting Properties
> > will do the trick. Under the Permissions tab, just tick the "Is
> > Executable" box
>
> did that.
>
> >  and
> > you can then launch it by clicking.
>
> Nothing happened (single or double left click or right click and
> "open"). Opening the url and refreshing gives me "could not find an
> appropriate hxplay or real play in the system path to use as an embedded
> player". Next step please?
>
> > Basically, you are doing chmod +x as mentioned by Tom, but in a "user
> > friendly" way ;)
>
> Nice for people like me until my skills develop further.
>
> Thanks for your help.
> james kilty
> http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk

Hmm... OK, it should have worked that way. In the properties bit again, who is
shown as the owner of the file? If it is your user name, then it should work.
If it is root, then you won't have permissions to open it - which would give
that scenario.
Perhaps easiest to do as Tom said and use the command line if that is the
case.
Simply open a Konsole and type in

sudo chmod +x /home/james/Desktop/filename.bin

and press enter - you will need to give your user password for that when you
have hit enter of course. Substitute your real user name for james and the
correct file name for the bin :)

You could do it another way -
As you may know, you can get a "root" konqueror window with

kdesu konqueror

typed into a Konsole. That will open a Konqueror window which has sudo type
permissions. So you can easily change the permissions of the file for example
by opening the Properties tab on the file and changing the user and group to
your user name.
kdesu is actually quite a handy little thing to know if you ever need to do
something as the super user in KDE based systems. A similar thing in Gnome is
done with gtksu or something I believe - but one of the Gnome users can
confirm that one.

You may find you would have had less problems if you had installed realplay or
whatever it is called via Adept. That should work fine with the beeb I
assume.

Mark