Re: [LUG] another waste of time for computers

On Saturday 10 March 2007 00:22, james kilty wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 23:33 +0000, Mark Jose wrote:
> > The repository list to add is -
> >
> > deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu dapper-commercial main
>
> Did that, once I reread your email and found the repository manager.
> Same problem. It is now installed and gives me a longer view of the
> buttons and time "bars" which disappear again.
>
> I am off to bed!
>
> Thanks for all your help - almost there.
>
> james kilty
> http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk

Well, as we have installed realplay, I am guessing this is a location issue
now.
The two files which real uses are called nphelix.so and nphelix.xpt
Although they are designed presumably for Mozilla browsers, Konqueror also
uses the mozilla plugins I believe.
So, it would be useful to locate the files mentioned and see where they are
residing. Not sure if you are familiar with updatedb, but if not, I will
explain a little. If you are, feel free to ignore the next few lines!

updatedb, as it suggests, updates the database of all the files on your
system - making it very quick and easy to find things - discover if modules
exist etc.
To create the database (or update it), simply open a Konsole and type -

sudo updatedb

Pressing enter will get the usual request for password then either tell you no
database exists (if you have never run it before) or start updating the
database. Either way, it will probably take a few minutes unless you are a
regular updatedb runner! You can tell when it has finished as you will return
to the command prompt.
Once the database is up to date, type in

locate nphelix.so

and hit enter.
On my system, the file resides in /usr/lib/firefox/plugins - but I do have
firefox installed. You may find it in another location.
The next bit is just an idea - but it won't do any harm!
Assuming the file is not in /usr/lib/firefox/plugins, but some other location,
then perhaps the mozilla plugins thing in Konqueror cannot find the file?
So, you could (from the Konsole) cd into the /home/james/.mozilla/plugins
directory and then create a symlink.

A quick example - substitute the correct paths to the .mozilla/plugins and the
real files.

assuming your /.mozilla/plugins directory is as above and that the nphelix.so
file is in /opt/Real/mozilla, then you would do the following -

cd /home/james/.mozilla/plugins

and press enter.

The symlink needs to be created as a super user (because the /opt directory is
not available for the basic user to link), so to link, you use the sudo
command -

sudo ln -s /opt/Real/mozilla/nphelix.so

Press enter and, because we are already in the /home/james/.mozilla/plugins
directory, the symlink will be created there.

You need to repeat the second part for the other file too -

sudo ln -s /opt/Real/mozilla/nphelix.xpt

Hit enter and then close any open Konqueror windows and then open a new
Konqueror window and see if the Beeb will let you play!

Hopefully that will sort it James!

Mark