Re: [LUG] Sound problem.

James Wonnacott wrote:
> Robin Cornelius wrote:
>
>> If you do have a /dev/dsp what does "cat somewavefile.wav > /dev/dsp"
>> do (in fact you can use any file it just makes a horrible noise".
>
> j1@j1-laptop:~$ cat /usr/share/sounds > /dev/dsp
> bash: /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy
>
> I wonder what's keeping it busy?

artsd kde's sound server I bet, it hogs the /dev/dsp device as it
expects other apps to talk through it. I think you are using the OSS
driver and alsa is not even doing anything here. Alsa is better behaved
than that (and dosn't present a /dev/dsp by default,unless you have the
alsa-oss emulation layer which simulates a OSS device using an asla driver).

Just for a laugh, (i think you use kde?) in the kde -> control center ->
sound & multimedia -> sound system. try selecting alsa and oss and
trying a sound test see if either works.

--
Robin Cornelius
http://www.byteme.org.uk