[LUG] Ink cartridges

This may be a bit off topic, if so sorry.

The official ink-jet cartridges are so expensive nowadays. My local
shop used to supply compatibles but they are having some difficulty
getting any at the moment, so they say.

I have had a look on the internet where there are so many vendors
touting their wares that I am completely confused.

Any suggestions, advice etc please? And as an aside, why is the single
black cartridge dearer than the colour one (with several colours)?

If it helps, Epson Photo 810.

Thanks

Neil Winchurst