Re: [LUG] interesting points -

On Tuesday 12 December 2006 19:36, paul sutton wrote:
> http://www.conservatives.com/tile.do?def=news.show.article.page&obj_id=1303

He, as many do, seem to miss the two major points:
1) A US firm can sell a crock of shit for 2 or three times the price on a high
quality product from a non US company - we had a Buy British campaign once -
the Americans just buy American unless there is no alternative. If you want
to break into the US market you have to pour a vast amount of money into an
American branch - unless your a queen or something, princesses don't count if
I remember rightly.
2) Funding for companies in the UK requires you to already being making a
killing and not need it, and is generally called asset stripping in other
countries. The US lets companies develop (ish) - in this country you have to
provide 5% return by day 2 or your stock crashes and you get wiped.

I worked for BT many moons ago and we could have made a 2.4Gb fibre optic t
switch for about 5 US dollars- thats 2.4Gb in and out in fibre and ditto in
ECL. The out going fibre would have sent it 10Km with a 10**-14 error rate.
Now BT didn't want to develop it as they'd just been Privatised and decided
they didn't do research any more. *
All the work was public domain so I set up a business plan. We needed £20M to
get started (BT could have done it for 0.5Million) but I figured with a fibre
optic component cheaper than the labour to install it we could be looking at
sales of a billion units a year within 2 years. No-one in this country would
touch it and the boys in the states wanted too much information - like I say
it was all public domain. So here I am, bitter and twisted, 16 years later
sending this e-mail down a 512k broadband line!
The boys with the money don't generally understand technology - and the ones
that do know they are in trouble if it gets a hold - image starting a bank
and making 0.5% on every transaction - even if you had to introduce ID cards
to bring fraud down you'd still be making a killing. And then remember Laker
Airways.
Sorry I think I got out of the wrong side of the earth this morning!
Tom te tom te tom

* if anyone knows of the technological equivalent of the GPL I can give them a
rough idea of how it worked under that...