Re: [LUG] Installing rpm files part 2

looking more carefully at your original message I notice you were installing using
the mandriva rpm install tool/s. These, both in the configure your computer stuff
and run from the file browser, use an application called urpmi - sorry if you know
all this - which downloads the packages from various sources along with any
dependencies, (if you want some more mandriva rpm sources I can mail you a script I
use for adding them to the urpmi database). The hdlist is a list of packages that
urpmi uses.

I don't think your message about the hdlist not being found indicates that the
install failed. It may just be a notification as the rpm's weren't on the list or
you weren't using urpmi in quite the way expected or something along those lines.
They maybe installed after all. Check with

(as root) rpm -qa | grep package_name

             (doesn't need to be the whole package name ie.

    [simon@Frog-4 ~]$ sudo rpm -qa | grep kaffeine

returns
    libkaffeine0-0.8.1-1mdk
    kaffeine-0.8.1-1mdk

I'd really recommend installing a range of urpmi sources and then using
the install software option in the control centre whenever possible.

    http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/
    http://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=10600&pid=85503&st=0&;

will give you the basic sources you need and some info. As I mentioned I
have a very simple script which will add some very up-to-date source
repositories not on the easyurpmi site. But whatever you do you do need
the sources from easyurpmi as a minimum. easyurpmi will generate a
script which you run in a terminal as root. This adds the depositories
to your software sources. The ones you have to have are

main, contrib and update. plf-free and plf-nonfree have packages like
libdvdcss and realplayer which are not included in standard
distributions, jpackage has java based stuff. The are a few other
sources, sea-of-souls for example, which are as up-to-date as is
possible for mandriva rpm's. With that lot you should rarely ever need
to  download and install rpm's "by hand".

Again, my apologies if you already know this stuff. Please contact me
directly if you need anything else.

As for your second message, I dunno! Except that the process is probably
saying that db_000 being non-existent it can't create a lock on it.
Though why it is needed and why it isn't using db_001 or 002....?

Simon

-

simon.robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.oldhouse-cottage.co.uk