Re: [LUG] Installing rpm files part 2

On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 14:00:22 +0100
Simon Robert <simon.robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> looking more carefully at your original message I notice you were installing using
> the mandriva rpm install tool/s. These, both in the configure your computer stuff
> and run from the file browser, use an application called urpmi - sorry if you know
> all this - which downloads the packages from various sources along with any
> dependencies, (if you want some more mandriva rpm sources I can mail you a script
> I use for adding them to the urpmi database). The hdlist is a list of packages
> that urpmi uses.
>
> I don't think your message about the hdlist not being found indicates that the
> install failed. It may just be a notification as the rpm's weren't on the list or
> you weren't using urpmi in quite the way expected or something along those lines.
> They maybe installed after all. Check with
>
> (as root) rpm -qa | grep package_name
>
>              (doesn't need to be the whole package name ie.
>
>     [simon@Frog-4 ~]$ sudo rpm -qa | grep kaffeine
>
> returns
>     libkaffeine0-0.8.1-1mdk
>     kaffeine-0.8.1-1mdk

No, my version of gphoto2 hasn't changed.

> I'd really recommend installing a range of urpmi sources and then using
> the install software option in the control centre whenever possible.
>
>     http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/
>     http://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=10600&pid=85503&st=0&;
>
> will give you the basic sources you need and some info. As I mentioned I
> have a very simple script which will add some very up-to-date source
> repositories not on the easyurpmi site. But whatever you do you do need
> the sources from easyurpmi as a minimum. easyurpmi will generate a
> script which you run in a terminal as root. This adds the depositories
> to your software sources. The ones you have to have are
>
> main, contrib and update. plf-free and plf-nonfree have packages like
> libdvdcss and realplayer which are not included in standard
> distributions, jpackage has java based stuff. The are a few other
> sources, sea-of-souls for example, which are as up-to-date as is
> possible for mandriva rpm's. With that lot you should rarely ever need
> to  download and install rpm's "by hand".
>
> Again, my apologies if you already know this stuff. Please contact me
> directly if you need anything else.
>

> Simon

Thanks for your help. I have used Mandrake (Mandriva) for years but I
have never had any problems with rmp files before, so I am somewhat
ignorant about it all. By the way, I did try urpmi as root in a
terminal, but still the same error messages.

This all started because I have bought a digital camera, Canon A610 and
it does not appear on the list of cameras covered by my current copy of
gphoto2. (2.1.6). It is included in a later version (2.1.99). So I
simply wanted to update my version of gphoto2. That is when my troubles
began. I have downloaded various rpm files for gphoto including
versions 2.1.99-3, 3.1.6-3, 3.1.99-3 and 4.1.6-3. However I have not
managed to get any of them to install. Always the message about hd
sources.

I have looked at easyrpmi. Should I download main, contrib and update
only for now? And should it be the ftp version? Finally does this mean
that the programs will then appear as part of my update list in
configure your computer?

And yes, a copy of your script would be much appreciated.

Why didn't all this get installed originally for me anyway?

Thanks for you help

Neil Winchurst