Re: [LUG] Moneydance

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 17:11:06 +0100
Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> OK. gnucash 1.8 does have problems with 64bit because 64bit platforms
> simply  weren't around during early 1.8 releases. (1.8 is that old).
> 64-bit fixes are  included in the 1.9.x series but these are for
> developers / testers only.
>
> I think you'll have to wait until gnucash 2.0.0 is released - probably
> in May.  It'll take a while to filter into each distro - Debian is
> likely to have it  first.
>
> If Mandriva decided to include gnucash in their 64bit distro, you
> should go  back to them to see if they have a fix.

I did just that and found some help in some Mandrive errata files. It
appears that gnucash will not run on Mandrive2006 (64bit) if it is
included as part of the original installation, but it will work OK if it
is installed later. This is caused by some problem with guile.

Anyway, there is a simple fix which I have now run and gnucash now
starts properly. So now I will have a good look and see what I think.

This all started because I have used Moneydance for years and I wanted
to continue with it on my new computer. However I cannot get Moneydance
to run, apparently due to its failing to find java properly.

I would be quite happy to use gnucash if  I could get it to read my
moneydance backup file. I don't suppose that is possible. Otherwise, if
I simply cannot get moneydance to run I will have to start again from
scratch, and lose the last three years' data!! Not much good, but better
than nothing.

Thanks for all the help so far. I may be back...!!!

Neil Winchurst