[LUG] Moneydance

I have been having problems with Moneydance, as witness recent emails.
I have downloaded it and installed it but it will not run, with an error
message about VM. I have had a lot of help and suggestions. It appears
that the problem lies with the program needing Java.

Peter Walker has suggested that I download the version of Moneydance
which incorporates a copy of Java, and I had decided to do that.
However, before doing so I thought I would check something, and now I am
puzzled.

When I run

 'java -version'

I get an answer (1.4.2-02). However, when I try

'whereis java'

all I get is 'java:' thrown back at me.  I had expected a file reference
showing me whereabouts it is installed on disc.

Is this how it should be, that is to say, is Java a special case, or am
I right to be puzzled? Could this be the cause of the problem?

Any help appreciated

Neil Winchurst