Re: [LUG] Forwarding from one web server to another...

On 7/16/05, Grant Sewell <dclug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks, Aaron.  If the webserver has a public IP (or rather, has portforwarding to
> it),
> some.other.machine doesn't have to have a public IP aswell, does it?  I can use an
> internal
> address?  For example http://192.168.1.101:1234/somepath?

Yes, that is exactly it.

It's not only useful for the common situation where you have a backend
mod_perl server with a small number of large memory hogging processes,
proxied by a lightweight apache (possibly on another machine) which
has hundreds of processes and handles images, etc as well as proxying.

Also handy as a filter before vulnerable services like PHP and
providing access to part of your intranet or DMZ to give an effective
'extranet'.

cheers,

A.