RE: [LUG] Suse 9.3 graphical log in

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Grant Sewell
Sent: 13 July 2005 22:00
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [LUG] Suse 9.3 graphical log in

I know my response is pertaining to Debian systems, but it might also be
worth trying on SuSE: On my systems, the default display manager is
referenced in the file /etc/X11/default-display-manager

Grant.

Thanks for both reponses.

The link is the same source of information I first came across.
As to the second kdm is set up as default display manager.
Also the default window manager.

In fact kdm is set up as default everything.

On boot the background I slected for kdm appears before the xdm
graphical screen appears so something suse is doing must be overiding it
somewhere but I can't figure out what.
All the configuration files I can see suggest that if kdm is entered or
referenced then this should start.

I booted to a shell prompt and logged in as root. Typed kdm, up came the
graphical xdm with the green suse background and logo AFTER briefly
displaying the background I had selected in the kde login manager.

As mentioned before I have no problems if I use gdm.

I want to display graphical icons for each user I have set up. Gdm does
this but I have always used kdm under redhat,mandrake and suse in
earlier versions.