Re: [LUG] Development (this might be long!)

On Monday 21 March 2005 1:46 pm, Martin White wrote:
Hmm, i've not, no. To my mind it has always fallen into the category of
"not mainstream"

Ooops! I think it might be best to retract that before you go joining other
projects! Never slag off Perl, Python, Emacs, Vi, C, C++ or Java as not
"mainstream". Religious wars have nothing on Perl vs Python wars! (or Emacs
vs Vi!)

Although before anyone jumps on me for that, i DO now know this to not be
the case,

:-) OK, I'll let you off.

but our paths have still not crossed. What languages i get into
has always to date been dictated by what i am asked to do in my job.

That's fair enough. Stick to what you know. I haven't learnt Python - despite
many pleas from Python fans - because I have enough to deal with in
C/C++/Perl/PHP/XML/HTML/ etc.

Your post highlights very well i think the differences between self taught
/ driven by what i need to know only and uni taught (sometimes i really
wish i HAD gone to uni!).

You'll find a mixture of backgrounds in most projects. A degree brings lots of
background knowledge and a wider scope of languages, tools and concepts. This
can be exceedingly useful to self-taught developers, like me, who can often
be criticised for not being able to think laterally.

As an aside, i came across a post on a forum somewhere about the lack of a
"delete mail from server when removed from trash" in kmail yesterday.

Presumably IMAP? POP would do this automatically.

In
this post it went into pretty good detail about what would need to be done
to what sections of the code to implement it, but the developers efforts
are elsewhere at the moment.

It's in the archive and when time permits, it can be re-assessed.

I know LOTS of people would love this
feature and i just checked and it's NOT been put into the new KDE3.4/KMail
1.8 release.

New features that are being talked about on mailing lists now (i.e. where the
code is planned but not written) can easily be a YEAR away from release. My
code took several months before it even got into CVS.

--

Neil Williams