Re: [LUG] Development (this might be long!)

Have you looked at Perl?

Perl is one of the more practical UNIX languages, you can use it for
shells scripts as well as webby stuff (Catalyst and Maypole provide
impressive MVC to rival anything Ruby and Java offer) and also GUI and
batch processing.

I've been using perl since uni (around 1999) for everything from
simple scripts to full scale internet applications, many of which have
0% HTML/CGI.

Currently I'm programming a mix of 70% perl, 20% ASP, 5% .Net/C#/mono,
5% PHP and I'll be glad if I never see another line of vbscript or
php. mono/.net has some quite cool tools, but can be a real pig to
track errors and 95% of people who use it rely on click-n-drool
generators and autocompletion.

My latest project has been to implement webservices from a
linux/apache/mod_perl server to a win32/delphi client. SOAP and WSDL
have a lot to answer for, each client (perl, c#. delphi, java) has a
different intepretation of what to send the server from the same WSDL.

Anyway - back to perl. If you are working on *nix (or even doze) it is
essential that you add some perl to your toolkit - its especially
useful for system integration and testing, its also handy for
prototyping classes and designs that will later be implemented in more
picky languages.

Which brings me on to D and C perl mongers - anything happening
anytime soon - any other perl coders down this way? Is it worth
getting some of the upcountry perl mongers to come down and give some
talks? I'd happily give a talk on something like Class::DBI, Template
Toolkit or SOAP.

Cheers,

A.