Re: [LUG] Email client.

On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 00:02, Anton Channing wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I will continue to use Thunderbird
as my windows email client, for the few pop accounts
I want to keep over here.

I suggest you look at IMAP then.

Thus you can arrange for all mail to go into and be stored in a set of
folders on one machine - I'd expect the Linux one - and be accessible
therefrom by as many clients as you care to use on as many machines as
you like.

An alternative is to choose a client to run on Linux, and then remote
its display to whatever machine you are using as a terminal, using eg
VNC.

I've been looking at both for work.  Currently I use Evolution, having I
think run up against a limit to the number of filters one can support in
Kmail, or something curious in a particular installation.

It is a vast improvement over
Outlook, which I won't touch with a barge pole.  If anything,
my problem with Thunderbird is that its a bit too much
like Outlook in some respects.

The two features I would like to see in it (and they might
be there for all I know, but I can't find them easilly if they
are there), that I got used to in KMail, is I don't want html
in messages, but can find no way disable this in incoming
mail, and being able to set a default reply identity for
folders, rather than having to set up loads of seperate
identities with there own set of folders.  KMail is much
tidier to use for someone with multiple pop3 accounts.
In my opinion anyway.

As for Firefox, I love Firefox.  I have no issues with it
at all.  If Mozilla could get there email client as friendly
as they've got Firefox, I'd be 100% happy with them.

All subsequent products seem to be rock solid on both Redhat and
Debian. I have seen Netscape be a tad unstable on MS Windows, but I'm
pretty sure that is "just old MS Windows", I've used Thunderbird on
Windows 2000 for a test of a 3rd party email system - put through some
seriously big amounts of spam and such like, and it "just worked". The
"Junk filtering" in Thunderbird was outperforming one of the commercial
services being tested.

Oh yeah, its junk filtering is great.  If it put suspect
emails in a seperate folder by default, like gmail,
then it would be even better.

Indeed Mozilla seem to have a very solid approach to applications these
days, feature rich, cross platform, robust, even the bloat is going. But
I fear people are trying Evolution for projects "because it looks like
Outlook" and the features like Calendaring are "all there", but Mozilla
are turning these things out, slightly slower, but much better quality
in my experience.

Considering Outlook is so bad, it seems strange to me
that projects would want to model themselves on it.
I really can't think of an email client I've used that is as
bad as Outlook.  My opinion of course, but emulating
Outlook is not what I'm looking for in a good email
client.

Anton