Re: [LUG] Email client.

Simon Waters wrote:

I'm surprised Anton had issues with Thunderbird, but then a lot of MS
Windows users seem to have had issues with Mozilla, and Netscape
products, which I've not seen since Mozilla 1.21 (which was a tad
flaky).

Don't get me wrong, I will continue to use Thunderbird as my windows email client, for the few pop accounts I want to keep over here. It is a vast improvement over Outlook, which I won't touch with a barge pole. If anything, my problem with Thunderbird is that its a bit too much like Outlook in some respects.

The two features I would like to see in it (and they might
be there for all I know, but I can't find them easilly if they
are there), that I got used to in KMail, is I don't want html
in messages, but can find no way disable this in incoming
mail, and being able to set a default reply identity for
folders, rather than having to set up loads of seperate
identities with there own set of folders.  KMail is much
tidier to use for someone with multiple pop3 accounts.
In my opinion anyway.

As for Firefox, I love Firefox.  I have no issues with it
at all.  If Mozilla could get there email client as friendly
as they've got Firefox, I'd be 100% happy with them.

All subsequent products seem to be rock solid on both Redhat and
Debian. I have seen Netscape be a tad unstable on MS Windows, but I'm
pretty sure that is "just old MS Windows", I've used Thunderbird on
Windows 2000 for a test of a 3rd party email system - put through some
seriously big amounts of spam and such like, and it "just worked". The
"Junk filtering" in Thunderbird was outperforming one of the commercial
services being tested.

Oh yeah, its junk filtering is great. If it put suspect emails in a seperate folder by default, like gmail, then it would be even better.

Indeed Mozilla seem to have a very solid approach to applications these days, feature rich, cross platform, robust, even the bloat is going. But I fear people are trying Evolution for projects "because it looks like Outlook" and the features like Calendaring are "all there", but Mozilla are turning these things out, slightly slower, but much better quality in my experience.

Considering Outlook is so bad, it seems strange to me that projects would want to model themselves on it. I really can't think of an email client I've used that is as bad as Outlook. My opinion of course, but emulating Outlook is not what I'm looking for in a good email client.

Anton