Re: [LUG] Upgrading Apache on Red Hat 9

On Friday 07 January 2005 2:31 pm, Benjamin A'Lee wrote:
On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 09:47:20, Chycor Ltd wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong here but surely I can't use Fedora packages on
RH9 even though they are related as there would be a ton of system
utilities / OS libraries that would be incompatible and out of date. Not
to mention changes in file locations and paths.

You can upgrade everything on Red Hat 9 with Fedora packages, which
would take care of broken dependencies; as far as I know Fedora just
carried on from Red Hat 9, so it's possible, although it might take a
bit of fiddling to get things updated in the right order (I don't know
how good Red Hat is at package management).

It's got nothing on apt.
# apt-get update
# apt-get upgrade
Use cron-apt to put this into your root user cron listing and you never need
to give it a second thought.

What would you guys recommend as the OS of choice for a live production
web server assuming not Red Hat 9. The other choices here are Fedora Core
2 or SUSE 9.0??

Why not Debian Stable?

Debian testing.

Install a Debian base system, then just use:
apt-get dist-upgrade testing

The one thing about servers is they always need a good connection to the
internet - that is the one fundamental need for a Debian system too. It's no
accident.

--

Neil Williams