Re: [LUG] Upgrading Apache on Red Hat 9

Hi again all,

Many thanks for all your support on this issue. Regarding the RPMs, it would
seem that the latest available supported RPM for RH9 through the up2date
command is the version that is already present on the system i.e. Apache
2.0.40.

Therefore I will need to investigate YUM to see if this is also the case.

BTW this is the old Red Hat 9 and not the enterpise release which Red Hat
are still supporting.

I concur with Simon that the answer if we stick with RH9 is to build from
source. However we will do this on a UNIX machine locally in the office so
that we can mirror our online dedicated server and then once we are happy we
can then mirror the updates on the live server.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but surely I can't use Fedora packages on RH9
even though they are related as there would be a ton of system utilities /
OS libraries that would be incompatible and out of date. Not to mention
changes in file locations and paths.

What would you guys recommend as the OS of choice for a live production web
server assuming not Red Hat 9. The other choices here are Fedora Core 2 or
SUSE 9.0??

Regards
Philip Radford