[LUG]Re: Off grid technology resources

On Sun, Feb 18, 2024 at 09:57:28AM +0000, Rich Brown wrote:
>    Hi Henry
>
>    No batteries at the moment. I have always used Alphaline XV24 MF. They are
>    a leisure battery and have always lasted well.
>

> [1]https://www.gobatteries.co.uk/product/manufacturers/numax/xv24mf-numax-sealed-lesiuremarine-battery-12v-86ah/
>
>    The goal is a bit tricky. As it is a school everything will need PAT
>    testing. And it current usage is nil. I have just bought a solar water
>    pump. This will be to water crops but tempted to build a steam to
>    demonstrate turbine power. Get the young people to make one from plastic
>    cups and then plywood, etc to see what is the best.

Rich, I was just thinking of

-       Splitting group into 2
-       One person using light bulbs, electric fire to keep warm etc, boiling water
for tea etc, rest of class trying to generate the power required (depending on age
and strength) with handpowered cranks
-       Then think of solar / wind, try that
-       Then think of energy storage to help out

        -       A damn (or pumped storage hydro)
        -       Gravity (https://www.gravitypower.net/)