[LUG]Off grid technology resources

Hi Guys

This is very off topic but I thought you might be able to help. I am building a small holding at Fowey River Academy secondary school and whilst a lot of it is practical education, there is also taught lessons. The area will be off grid and so I will be teaching students how to generate electricity. I am trying to find kits that will enable the students to build something and then see it in action. Do you know of any resources that will help please? I am thinking along the line of:
Hand crank to generate and store electricity - use different methods - attach to a bulb and see which method is better
Water wheel
Solar in some way - possible in cooking as well as electricity

Any ideas please? Thanks.
--
Richard Brown
Youth Worker