[LUG]Re: UCEPROTECT, blacklists and hosting servers

On 20/12/2022 19:38, Paul Sutton via list wrote:
On 20/12/2022 11:31, Simon Avery wrote:
On Sun, 18 Dec 2022 at 22:39, Michael Everitt <michael@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:michael@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    TL;DR whilst its very convenient to use eg. gmail, Micro$soft,
    Apple, et al, it has
    always been possible to run your own mail system. Also, you have
    greater control and
    flexibility how it runs and accepts/rejects mail(!). It's not hard
    to deal with spam,
    there are a few tools/techniques you need to use to make it work,
    and keep the Other
    mail servers "happy".

Thanks for linking an interesting article, but I'm afraid I'm not as enthusiastic as yourself, having done this a few times over the years. The article's perspective is one that surfaces quite often and is usually quite strongly presented. "Mail is not hard" is indeed a true statement, and it's an excellent project to learn and have fun with, and anyone thinking of doing this absolutely should - because it teaches you so much about the problems of running an internet facing mail server. I've been running mail systems (Fidonet, UUCP before email) privately and professionally for well over three decades, so I've got some experience of how not to do it.

So - why do I use Gmail for my personal email?

Because it works. Because its spam controls are extremely effective. Because my account is reasonably secure. Because I don't need to spend a lot of time keeping it working.

I am using disroot for e-mail (https://www.disroot.org) it works fine, granted you don't get a huge amount of storage but do you need that much if you manage e-mails and delete unwanted stuff for example.

Disroot has other services such as cloud integration and I think they have cryptpad now which is more for collaboration / cloud,  as well as etherpads for working collaboratively

Paul

G'day all,

I have used sendmail in the past now using postfix. Hardly get any spam either. Don't think I would ever use gmail (I do have a google account though for my android phone)
I am in two minds, I have told people to just use gmail as it is simple for non tech people and gets them away from MS products and ISP tied email addresses.
But I do prefer having my own email server for my email.
--
'ooroo

Stinga...(:)-)
Email: stinga+dclug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx   o
You need only two tools.        o /////
A hammer and duct tape. If it    /@   `\  /) ~
doesn't move and it should use  >  (O)  X<  ~  Fish!!
the hammer. If it moves and      `\___/'  \) ~
shouldn't, use the tape.           \\\