[LUG]Re: UCEPROTECT, blacklists and hosting servers

On 18/12/2022 12:11, Eion MacDonald wrote:

On 18/12/2022 11:37, Mark Thurston wrote:
Websites and email are different services but, from your description, I assume you're referring to problems with email and not web hosting.

Where is your email hosted? Have you set up Sender Policy Framework (SPF) for your email? Here are the instructions for Fasthosts: https://help.fasthosts.co.uk/app/answers/detail/a_id/519/~/spf-records

I can highly recommend ProtonMail and Zoho, if you're looking to migrate your email to a different platform. In case you're not already aware, you don't have to host your email and website with the same provider.

  ---- On Sun, 18 Dec 2022 10:37:32 +0000  Pentiddy  wrote ---
  > Hello All.
  >
  > I am having issues with many of the e-mails I send being filtered to spam.
  > I have just done a little research on this and discovered the host I use
  > (Fasthosts) is UCEPROTECT level 3 listed.
  > I know little of how all this works but wondered if anyone has
  > recommendations for either removing this listing (which I have to
  > partition fasthosts to do), or next stage would be to change where my
  > websites are hosted to a {better} provider. This seems like it might be
  > headache as I have multiple websites hosted with Fasthosts.
  > Thoughts and suggestions welcome...
  >
  > Thanks
  >
  > Anthony
  >
  >
  > --

Thanks for information on  "Sender Policy Framework "
I did not know such a thing existed.
I keep learning from DCGLug.

Mostly for Eion's benefit, but others may find it useful. I was talking amongst a couple of friends, and online acquaintances about an offline IMAP solution for my netbook which I often travel on trains/etc around the county, and doesn't always have WiFi or internet easily accessible. I was steered away from some of the less-'standard' (if you will) solutions back to simply running my own mail server (or servers, potentially).

Now I'm sure everyone here (with perhaps a couple of exceptions) has come across the perception (and broadly it's a good maxim, because there are traps to fall into, which are Hard to get out of) that running ones own mail system is difficult. I was directed to this article[0] (and author) to address some of the myths commonly held about doing this exact thing. I have to say, my enthusiasm is renewed, but I probably won't use it initially for my primary email, until I've proven out the concepts on something less 'critical'.

TL;DR whilst its very convenient to use eg. gmail, Micro$soft, Apple, et al, it has always been possible to run your own mail system. Also, you have greater control and flexibility how it runs and accepts/rejects mail(!). It's not hard to deal with spam, there are a few tools/techniques you need to use to make it work, and keep the Other mail servers "happy".

Thanks Tom for tangentially reminding me to bookmark this article for revisiting properly in the new year!

Regards,
Michael / veremitz.
[0] - https://poolp.org/posts/2019-08-30/you-should-not-run-your-mail-server-because-mail-is-hard/