[LUG]Re: File Server and Desktop

On 03/12/2022 09:05, Richard Brown wrote:

Hi Guys

A quick bit of advice. I have built up a large collection of movies and music and photos that are currently stored on our desktop computer. If I need to use them or watch them I turn on that computer and either connect remotely or watch them on that machine. The question is should I build a file server which could be low powered and serve those files allowing the desktop to simply be a desktop or is it not worth the cost. The server could fulfil other tasks such as providing backup etc but its main function would be to serve files.

Thanks

I use a NAS (have an old QNAP), if you want to build something yourself it is quite easy. For films I store them on the NAS, but I use Serviio to stream them to my televisions / PCs etc... As the NAS is likely to be on all the time, would recommend that you set up the disks in a RAID array, and buy datacenter or NAS specific disks. Ordinary Desktop Disks & SSDs are not meant for 24x7 operation.

https://www.truenas.com/

https://www.openmediavault.org/

http://www.amahi.org/

https://serviio.org/