[LUG]Re: File Server and Desktop

A cheap low power option is a Raspberry Pi with a large USB HDD. Typical power use can be about 10% of a Intel type server.

I can recommend the Btrfs filesystem for the storage drive which will allow you to take occassional snapshots and revert to these, if required. The most frequent source of data loss is human error!

Consider https://syncthing.net for keeping everything up to date across machines on the local network.

If your photos are really precious, another similar device in another physical location will provide you with redundancy. rsync is good for keeping everything in sync across sites.

---- On Sat, 03 Dec 2022 09:05:44 +0000 Richard Brown <rich@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote ---

Hi Guys

A quick bit of advice. I have built up a large collection of movies and music and photos that are currently stored on our desktop computer. If I need to use them or watch them I turn on that computer and either connect remotely or watch them on that machine. The question is should I build a file server which could be low powered and serve those files allowing the desktop to simply be a desktop or is it not worth the cost. The server could fulfil other tasks such as providing backup etc but its main function would be to serve files.

Thanks

--

Kind regards

Richard Brown